Тypes of studies
The higher education system in Serbia offers two types of studies: academic studies realized at universities, and applied studies realized primarily at colleges of applied studies, and occasionally at universities as well.
First level of studies includes:
- Undergraduate Academic Studies (Bachelor) – lasting for 3 or 4 years, carrying 180 to 240 ECTS
- Bachelor Applied Studies – lasting for 3 years, carrying 180 ECTS.
Second level of studies includes:
- Master Academic Studies – lasting for 1 or 2 years and carrying 60 to 120 ECTS
- Master Applied Studies – lasting for 2 years and carrying at least 120 ECTS for students who have previously achieved 180 ECTS
- Specialized Applied Studies – lasting for 1 year and carrying 60 ECTS
- Specialist Academic Studies – lasting for 1 year and carrying 60 ECTS, for students who have achieved at least 300 ECTS in previous studies.
Third level of studies includes
- Doctoral Academic Courses (PhD), including a minimum of 3 years of study or 180 ECTS.
In the field of medical science (studies of medicine, dentistry and veterinary medicine), integrated courses are organized in the duration of 6 years and carrying a minimum of 360 ECTS. Pharmacy studies also offer integrated courses that carry 300 ECTS.
Higher education in Serbia is provided by/at universities and colleges that are either public or private.
Academy of Applied Studies has also been envisaged by the law, but no such institution has been founded yet.